Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Saga Continues

I know I said I wouldn't write anymore about potty issues - but I lied.

First of all, she is doing great with #1 :)  So proud of her.

However - #2 is a problem.  She screams, fights, hits, cries, screams, screams and screams.  I know she is afraid to do it, but I don't know why.  It probably doesn't feel so great because she'll wait 3-4 days between each time.  I've tried many different tactics.  I've tried comforting her, talking her through it, giving her time outs for the fits, not acknowledging the behavior, literally putting her on the potty over and over, giving her some "help" in the form of Miralax, etc.  I've tried it all - but every 3 or 4 days we spend a couple of hours "battling" this issue until she just gives in. Trust me, no matter how glad I am that it's over, she does not get praise or rewards for the deed.  That would just affirm that it was OK to continue acting that way.  Then, she's just extra mad because she doesn't get her reward.  That's a lot of fun.  Poor August is just sitting and watching it all happen from his bouncy chair.  Hope he doesn't remember this when it's his turn to train!

The kicker is - one day last week - she did it without any issues whatsoever.  No crying, no screaming, no hitting...just told me she had to go and she went. ----several times. 

So, is she just playing me to get attention?  What do I do now?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

"where is the poop" - a flip book that is all about animals and pooping. Maybe read about it, and talk about it all the time, like is so normal and 'matter of fact'.