Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Amelia's Decisions

I never would have thought that a 2 1/2 year old would be able to make serious, well-thought-out decisions, but that's exactly what Amelia does.
I always imagined that if I gave her a choice of 2 or 3 good things that she would just want ALL of them.  Here is my example from earlier today...

We were in Target picking out new bottles for August and as we were leaving we passed by the clothing section.  (Back story - a couple of weeks ago Andy and I told Amelia she could pick out new pajamas next time we were at the store because she was down to one pair that still fit)  Anyway, as we pass the clothes Amelia says, "Mommy, we need new pajamas," and she was right!  Her mind is a steel-trap!
I showed her 4 different pairs.  Her choices were Butterflies, Kitties, Dora or Monkeys.  At first she went for the Dora PJ's, but as we were walking away she stopped me and said, "No, not Dora.  Maybe Monkeys!"  At that point I gave her all four choices again.  She looked at them very seriously for about 30 seconds, then she tapped her forefinger on the side of her head (as if in DEEP thought), and finally said, "Yes, I think MONKEYS!!!!"  She was set on her decision and didn't even think to ask for both (or all) of them.  It was priceless.  I will have to take her picture in the Monkey PJs when she wakes up in the morning (she was way to crabby tonight)!

She is great. 

1 comment:

Alison said...

Yep, that's when Gavin started picking out his entire wardrobe... People say I'm lucky. I say, "No, I wanted to pick out the clothes!" He is his father's son...

Good for Amelia though. What a great little decision maker! Ha, I totally went against my above statement... :-)