Thursday, April 29, 2010

TWO Milestones This Week

Milestone #1:  This one was a milestone for me.  I drove to Austin with both kids - by myself!  I knew I could do it, but I was unsure of how it was going to go.  It turns out it wasn't horrible.  It took 4 hours each way with a few stops along the way for diaper changes and to eat.  All in all I was really proud of myself. 

It was fun to be in Austin with "built-in babysitters" so that Kelsey and I could go shopping, to a high school reunion luncheon, and to get some yummy, yummy yogurt!!!!!!  I don't know if I'll be making the trip by myself anytime soon, but it was fun to get out of town!
(I forgot my camera, so I'll have to get some and post them later).

Milestone #2:  We are in the middle of Potty Training!  Woo Hoo!
Day One - This was AWFUL!  I'm not going to lie.  It was hard.  She got right into her big girl underwear (which was surprising).  But, because I am a rookie, I only had 3 pairs.  Well, we went through those in about one hour.  So I packed up the car and we went to pick out some more.  Amelia chose them and she was really excited about it!  I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the messes and carrying Amelia to the potty and enduring the screaming and yelling and fighting of getting her on it.  Well, I know she was just scared - but I was doubting if this was the right time.  She shows all the "readiness" signs, but was this how it was supposed to be?
Day Two - This day started out the same...AWFUL!  So, I consulted some mommy friends.  With their tips and encouragement, I decided to stick it out (remember I am also dealing with the needs of a 3-month-old).  Well, she really turned a corner!  The tips worked and she willingly sat on the potty, and she did it!  She has yet to really tell me when she needs to go.  But every time I ask her to go - she goes!  Woo Hoo!  She did so well that Daddy and I took her out for ice cream last night. 

Yeah Amelia!!!!!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Don't even talk to me about potty training...! They SO do it on their own time is ALL I'm going to say- Wait a minute; that wasn't encouraging at all, was it? :-) G was all the way a month after 3rd bday, but has never wet the bed...woo hoo!

Jamie said...

YEAH! So proud of all of you! We are dealing with a bit of regression right now... he will not stop what he is doing to go, so he dribbles, but it is just enough so that I can see it if look close and have to d a full change. Starting a sticker chart this afternoon....we shall see...