Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Story...

I've had several requests to hear "how it all went" - so here it is.

Last Tuesday, the 26th, Andy and I went to the hospital at 7AM for an induction.  My doctor was concerned that this was going to be a big baby, like Amelia (9lbs 6oz) - so she wanted to get the baby a little early.  Not a problem with me - I was DONE being pregnant! 

My mom came in the night before to stay with Amelia, and my dad and sister were able to drive in for the day in hopes of being there in time!

The nurse, Kathy, who we had last time around, was a nice familiar face to see that morning!  It was comforting having some things kind of be the same as last time.  She started Pitocin(sp) around 8ish, and the doctor broke my water around the same time.  I started feeling contractions right away, but they weren't bad...so I held off on the Epidural for a bit.  Once Kathy told me that the "window" for my Epidural was limited (because of other deliveries and scheduled c-sections) I took it! 
I was only a little shocked when Doogie Houser arrived with the Epidural!  He looked all of about 25 years old...wore a thumb ring, had a goatee, and talked like a skater!  When I asked him if he was good at this he said, "Ummm..I'm alright!"  Not very reassuring!  But the nurse said he was good, and he did a great job - it was just a good laugh at the end of it all. 
After that it was smooth sailing.  Monica came by to visit and my dad and sister arrived around 11:00.  There was nothing to report - so they all took off and it was just me and Andy again.

Around noon, the doctor checked and I was about 4-5cm and 50% so I figured this would be another long labor.  I was a bit disappointed, but it just meant a little more rest for us.  Then, I started feeling a little pressure, but thought it was just the Epidural being blocked (it had done so about an hour earlier because I was laying on the tube).  HOWEVER, a nurse came in and asked if I was feeling things...and at that moment the pressure became VERY obvious and I knew this was not normal.  She checked me at about 2:15 and I was 9cm and at about 100%.  The nurse told me not to get my hopes up because it would be "a lot of hard work before the baby was here." 

Hmmm...was she ever wrong!  We waited about 45 mintues for the doctor to get there...then it was time!  "A lot of hard work" turned out to be about 10 minutes of not really hard work at all!  He arrived at 3:15!  It was crazy!

We spent the next 2 nights in the hospital - but had everything lined up so that we were ready to leave first thing on Thursday morning.  We were so ready to get out of there and to be back home and with Amelia. We would have left on Wednesday if they had let us! 

Well - I hope that wasn't too much information...and hope it wasn't boring...but I'm just trying to give the people what they want!  Ha ha!!!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Love the story and LOVE that little boy!

sarah from the suburbs said...

so what you're saying is that delivering the 2nd baby is easier than the first? :) please confirm this! it will give me hope! i pushed for 1 1/2 hours with Kate and thought i might die!